Lee Thompson | Attorney
Email: Lee Thompson | Phone: (316) 267-3933 | Fax: 316-267-3901
Mr. Thompson is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest recognition possible in the legal industry, for his professionalism and ethics. He is the managing member for Thompson Law Firm, LLC. A former United States Attorney, Lee has tried numerous cases and argued many appeals in the past 40 plus years. These have included the prosecution and defense of federal white collar criminal charges, complex oil and gas royalty and class actions, and protection of women’s rights.
Lee began his legal career when he was awarded his Juris Doctor degree, with honors, from the National Law School of the George Washington University in 1974. While at George Washington, Lee taught undergraduate speech classes and also worked with the debate team. Prior to law school, Lee received a B.A. in Political Science, magna cum laude, from Wichita State University, and an M.A. in Speech from Emporia State University. Lee and his partner won the 1968 National Debate Championship while representing Wichita State University. He also taught speech and served as assistant debate coach at Emporia State University.
He served on the staff of United States Senator James B. Pearson both during and after law school in Washington D.C. Lee began the private practice of law in Wichita in 1976 and was Associate and Partner in the Wichita firm of Martin, Pringle et al, from 1976 through 1989. In 1988, Lee was the Republican nominee for the 4th District Congressional seat in the United States Congress. He was appointed United States Attorney for the District of Kansas by President Bush in 1990. As United States Attorney, Thompson was the chief legal representative for the federal government in Kansas as to all civil and criminal litigated matters.
Thompson resumed a private civil litigation practice in 1993 and joined the firm of Triplett, Woolf & Garretson, LLC. He subsequently formed the Thompson Law Firm, LLC in 2004.
- Civil litigation
- Oil and gas litigation
- Federal practice
- White collar criminal defense
- White collar crime
- Kansas, 1974
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit, 1974
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1974
- George Washington University, J.D., with honors, 1974
- Emporia State University, M.A., 1970
- Wichita State University, B.A., 1968
- Tiller v. Corrigan, 286 Kan. 30, 182 P.3d 719 (2008)
- Alpha Medical Clinic v. Anderson, 280 Kan. 903, 128 P.3d 364, (2006)
- Smith v. Amoco Production Co., 31 P.3d 255 Kan. (2001)
- Beck v. Northern Natural Gas Co., 170 F.3d 1018, 142 Oil & Gas Rep. 1, 1999 CJ C.A.R. 2006, 10th Cir. (Kan.) Mar. 19, 1999
- Member, George Washington University Law Review, 1971-1972
- Author, “Changes Born of Crisis: A Prosecutorial Perspective on the Burgeoning Area of Financial Institution Fraud Litigation,” 31 W.L.J. 224, 1992
- Assistant to U.S. Senator James Pearson, 1971-1975
- U.S. Attorney, District of Kansas, 1990-1993
- Republican Nominee, U.S. House of Representatives, Kansas, Fourth District, 1988
- Chairman, Civil Issues Subcommittee, Attorney General’s Advisory Committee of U.S. Attorneys, 1992-1993
- President, Criminal Law Section, Kansas Bar Association, 1994-1995
The Thompson Law Firm, LLC serves clients in Wichita and throughout Southeastern Kansas and Western Kansas.